Take a virtual road trip across the United States to visit four independent guitar stores and learn what makes them vital to the communities they serve. As you’ll hear, each of these shops is more than just a retail outlet – and each of these shopkeepers has a unique perspective on why that is and what to look forward to in the future.
Catch up with Richard Johnston of Gryphon Stringed Instruments in Palo Alto, California; Stan and Lillian Werbin of Elderly Instruments in Lansing, Michigan; Raymond Morin of Acoustic Music Works in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania; and George Gruhn of Gruhn Guitars in Nashville, Tennessee.
We’re releasing this episode during peak holiday shopping season for a reason. Please visit your local music store for all your gifting needs (or to treat yourself!) When you buy from local, independently owned businesses, 29.3% of the revenue is recirculated into the local economy (as opposed to 5.8% from Amazon.) And, please leave a comment below to give a shout out to your favorite store, wherever you live!
Support the show:
- Join our community on Patreon, where you’ll find bonus podcast episodes, guitar lessons, and plenty more great perks.
- Make a donation on PayPal
- Leave a review on Apple Podcasts (This helps other guitarists find the show and helps us. We really appreciate it.)
- Acoustic Music Works (2142 Murray Ave, Pittsburgh, PA 15217)
- Elderly Instruments (1100 N Washington Ave, Lansing, MI 48906)
- Gruhn Guitars (2120 8th Ave S, Nashville, TN 37204)
- Gryphon Stringed Instruments (211 Lambert Ave, Palo Alto, CA 94306)
- If you’re shopping for a guitar, you might be interested in our guide to identifying acoustic guitar shapes and sizes. Also check out “Ask the Expert: Why Does My New Guitar Need a Setup?” and “How to Shop for a Used Guitar.”
The Acoustic Guitar Podcast theme music is composed by Adam Perlmutter and performed for this episode by Jeffrey Pepper Rodgers.
This episode is hosted by Nick Grizzle and Elton Bradman, produced by Tanya Gonzalez, and directed and edited by Joey Lusterman. Executive producers are Lyzy Lusterman and Stephanie Campos Dal Broi.
The Acoustic Guitar Podcast is produced by the team at Acoustic Guitar magazine, including:
- Publisher: Lyzy Lusterman
- Editor: Adam Perlmutter
- Managing Editor: Kevin Owens
- Senior Editor: Blair Jackson
- Creative Director: Joey Lusterman
- Digital Content Director: Stephanie Campos Dal Broi
- Digital Content Manager: Nick Grizzle
- Marketing Services Manager: Tanya Gonzalez