Does the Great American Songbook endure because the songs themselves are timeless or because musicians give them a fresh spin? San Francisco–based jazz guitarists Mimi Fox, Nick Rossi, and Paul Mehling weigh in! Join us for a lively roundtable discussion on acoustic jazz standards and making jazz accessible to all kinds of listeners.
Support the show:
- Leave a review on Apple Podcasts (This helps other guitarists find the show and helps us. We really appreciate it!)
- Mimi Fox’s website
- Nick Rossi’s website
- Paul Mehling/The Hot Club of San Francisco’s website
- Watch Mimi Fox perform “Blackbird” for Acoustic Guitar Sessions and learn to play her jazzy arrangement of “America the Beautiful.”
- Paul Mehling plays “Minor Swing” in this Acoustic Guitar Session. If you’re feeling inspired to play like Django Reinhardt, check out Mehling’s gypsy-jazz lesson, “Learn the La Pompe Manouche Style in 6 Easy Steps.”
- Nick Rossi teaches the rhythm of Harlem Swing greats Freddie Green, John Trueheart, Bernard Addison, Morris White, and Al Casey in this video lesson. And learn the Nick Lucas classic “Picking the Guitar” here.
The Acoustic Guitar Podcast theme music is composed by Adam Perlmutter and performed for this episode by Mimi Fox.
This episode is hosted by Nick Grizzle and Mimi Fox, produced by Tanya Gonzalez, and directed and edited by Joey Lusterman. Executive producers are Lyzy Lusterman and Stephanie Campos Dal Broi.
The Acoustic Guitar Podcast is produced by the team at Acoustic Guitar magazine, including:
- Publisher: Lyzy Lusterman
- Editor: Adam Perlmutter
- Managing Editor: Kevin Owens
- Senior Editor: Blair Jackson
- Creative Director: Joey Lusterman
- Digital Content Director: Stephanie Campos Dal Broi
- Digital Content Manager: Nick Grizzle
- Marketing Services Manager: Tanya Gonzalez